Friday, August 9, 2013

Galway (Part 2)

To me, Galway is sort of like the Newport Beach, CA of the US. The people are beautiful, there are plenty of really nice visitors, the city rests along the west coast, and people are often seen staying active by jogging, roller blading, or biking. I also noticed many expensive boutiques and several luxurious hotels and restaurants. But no Irish city is without its history or pubs to explore. 

Originally, I was planning on heading to the Cliffs of Moher, a popular tourist spot that can be seen in films such as Leap Year with Amy Adams, The Princess Bride, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The problem was that the Cliffs were over an hour away by bus and I really did not feel up to spending the time or money. Instead, I opted to do a free walking tour in the morning around Galway with my new Australian friend, Jess! Lara, our tour guide, was fantastic. I am so happy that I went with the tour option because after, I appreciated Ireland, Irish history, Galway, and Irish people a thousand times more. Lara really did a wonderful job. She incorporated a brief history of the Island and laced the tour with her own stories and angles. I learned that the term, "lynching" originated during the 17th century. Mayor Lynch of Galway had a son who knew about a financial scandal involving Spaniards. The son murdered a Spaniard to prevent further embezzlement and his father sentenced him to death. However, the town begged the mayor not to kill his popular and well-known son and even tried physically standing in his way. Not about to let justice go unpunished, the mayor brought his son to the second story of a building and hung him from the window in front of the town. The mayor also wanted to keep ties between the Spaniards because of the heavy reliance on trade. A tragic story that was immediately followed by Lara sharing a tale about a monkey saving a baby out of a burning building! Great stuff. 

Another interesting thing I learned was the name of the park in the city center. J.F. Kennedy was the first Irish Catholic to be elected as a US president. JFK visited Galway shortly before he was assassinated so the town renamed their 300-year-old park in memory of him. Below are some pictures from the tour:

A mosaic of JFK in one of the Cathedrals

Galway Cathedral built in 1964 out of stone from the 60-person jail that existed in the same spot

Viking tour guide, Lara!

Random Irish gent sleeping next to me in the pub after the tour!

After the tour, Lara told us about a pub crawl for 10 euro that included a guide to four pubs, a half pint of Guinness, and three shots. Each pub had live music (sadly it was alternative, not traditional) and beer games (beer pong, etc.). Everyone assumed that since I was American that I would be grand at the games! Ha. My college experience was very untraditional so I failed miserably! But I had a blast. The two guides were SO energetic and responsible for all 35-40 of us! Below are some pictures:

Dom and Keeva, our guides



Jasmine from Germany

Australian Jess! She is on a 6-month solo backpacking trip all around Europe! Such inspiration

My German besties! Laura (or Lara?) and her common law husband! ;) These two were fantastic to talk and hang out with... We also had some really interesting discussions about American politics and 9/11... Fascinating stuff
















No comments:

Post a Comment