Friday, August 9, 2013

The Troubles and last night's protest

*PS, I am sorry about some of the photos being so large! Sometimes they do not upload well on the iPad... 

Belfast is an intense city. I can already tell from listening to the locals mention The Troubles conflict between British protestants and Irish catholics. After 38 years of fighting and more than 50,000 casualties (3,000+ deaths), the two groups are still fighting. Check this link out on BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23622949
This all took place within a mile of where I am staying at... crazy stuff! I secretly wanted to check it out but the locals tell me that the whole city center was shut down and blocked from anyone entering or leaving. Read the article for more information. It is pretty interesting and you can learn more about the conflict as well as seeing some footage. Scary.

Anyway, about the hostel. I like that the theme and interior is very hipster/bohemian. The facilities are really nice except for the tiny kitchen which is going to be crowded during breakfast! The laundry services were a bit expensive but worth the 3 pound charge.... so much better than washing clothes in the sink! Come one, people, skip the 4 pound Starbucks and use a machine! The people at the hostel? So far, they are not quite as down-to-earth, fun, and real like at the other places I stayed at. Here, they seem a bit standoffish. Maybe it is because I am slightly grumpy and a really tired... Regardless, I will give this place a chance! Below are some photos of my room (12-bed coed dorm) and one of the lounge areas:





My bed is the top right bunk in the corner! Apparently the bottom bunks are the most coveted but I rather enjoy the top bunk...






Dining area to the left



Semi-outdoor lounge

Yesterday, my dear Australian friend, Jess, mentioned that the town of Derry (Londonderry) has a really moving museum about The Troubles. I really want to go there but the town is small (90,000 people) and it would take me 2.5 hors by train. I have decided against it and will venture around Belfast! I hear that there are some grand (and free!) museums and some great French places to eat at. Plus, I am hoping to find two other people to go on a black taxi tour with (a really personal city tour inside an old black taxi). I am also considering going to the Titanic museum... I am not a huge fan but we shall see! I met two girls from down under (more Australians!) and they are thinking about going so maybe I will tag along. 


Hilarious side story... The two girls pictured above were at my hostel in Cork, last week. I saw them as I was leaving Galway at the train station! Lauren and Channing, I believe... I also saw the same guy traveling around the Island in Dublin, Cork, AND Galway...! If I see him in Belfast, I will call the warden or throw him to the protestors! 

One more thing, on the train ride from Galway to Dublin (I then hoped on a train from Dublin to Belfast), I met and talked with this weathered old Irish man. He was on his way to his friend's "wake" or, funeral. We had a really pleasant chat about many things such as The Troubles, Irish culture, wakes, and his fishing experiences. Funny thing, I forgot that I brought several CDs of my music compositions along with me. Well, I ended up giving him one! He really appreciated the gesture and said that he would write me his reactions and thoughts. He also mentioned that he was really happy to see a traveler without any Irish heritage making their way around Ireland. He said that visitors like myself are true Ireland tourists without the prideful typical American entitlement of having "some" Irish in them... ;) Win. 


No comments:

Post a Comment