Thursday, August 8, 2013

Galway, the land of Irish luck (Part 1)

Out of the three cities I have visited in Ireland, so far, Galway is my favorite. Check out the pictures below and I will discuss after you view:

FYI, the swan to the far right is not headless... I managed to catch a pigeon, too!


Salthill (touristy area) off in the distance


In Galway, the sea gulls are selfish and actually respect other creatures! Here, swans and ducks can get fed in peace without the white trash (seagulls)!

Galway is situated along the Atlantic Ocean and boasts around 70,000 residents. Galway has a rich history. The term, "lynching" comes from here! More about that and the history, later. When I first arrived, I headed straight for my hostel. Although the Sleepzone has a few flaws, it is the best hostel I have ever stayed at. The kitchen area is crazy. There are three long tables with the food prep area next to it. I love it here because all of the hostel guests have access to pots and pans, dishes, silverware, refrigerator space, cupboards to use, I mean, this really is a nice facility. The two things I do not like are the wi-fi and the laundry facilities. Most hostels have wi-fi throughout the building. This place only provides it on the ground floor. I can understand this because if forces people to interact in their rooms and congregates everyone in the lounge areas; however, because this world is becoming more and more connected online, EVERYONE needs to be on their device so the lounge area gets congested and because there are so many people using the wi-fi in such a small area, the service is really weak and spotty, which makes it hard for booking tours, trains, and other hostels, and Skyping back home, etc. Oh well! Below are some pictures of the Sleepzone Hostel!

Dining area

Kitchen area


Kitchen area


One of the many lounge areas

Well, I am off to go on a pub crawl! I have a ton more things to say about Galway so keep on the lookout for Part 2! I took a two-hour walking tour with some amazing people and cannot wait to share photos and stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment