Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The world of Communication

Dear Readers,

This may be slightly vague, abstract, and probably annoying to read, but I must vent ;)

Although I may regret this post, I must mention several things about what I have learned through the people, interaction, and communication during my travels and not being so involved in social media such as Facebook and Twitter for the past two years. I will be honest: I wish that I could stomach Facebook. I truly admire the people who can manage the hundreds, even thousands of friends they have. I completely understand the great benefits of keeping in touch with the people from far away. Ideally, it would be wonderful to keep in touch with the people along my journey. Most, if not all, always ask, "Do you have Facebook!?" within the first moments of interacting. They pull out their phones and begin typing my name. I smile and calmly say, "I am sorry, I actually do not have Facebook." I honestly think that some of them wonder if I am lying to protect my identity or because I do not like them... really? Regardless, even though I chew on this feeling of regret for not being "with the modern times of communication," I feel more and more comfortable with not being so involved with social media. Here is why. I personally think that I would be exhausted if I had got more involved with these wonderful people. Because I am planning on traveling even more, it would be insane to be involved all the time with these people online. I would constantly want to interact with and update them on all of my travels. But when I was on and active on Facebook over two years ago, I did just that and frankly, it was so exhausting and I felt guilty for not keeping up with the Kardashians. This happens a lot with people and I am sure that some handle it differently by posting here and there. Great! I envy you. But with being an extrovert and social dragonfly (don't ask), I found it highly stressful even with the simple idea of being connected with my close peers. All the time, I would want to respond to one of their posts or put up a status that was catchy, clever, and full of poetic wit. I always wanted a reaction. It was like a drug that ate up loads of time. We all know this. We all have felt this. Why do we crave and continue? 

I guess what I am trying to communicate to you (and myself) is that I finally am being comfortable with not being so much online. It used to piss me off that I was not always connected and notified of all the "happs" around me. However, I do not have to worry about putting up the perfect picture, the wittiest post, or the longest chat message. During this trip, I will always cherish the live moments I spent with these wonderful people from Germany, Poland, Austria, Australia, the UK, Ireland, etc. And if they slip away, then so be it because I will have photos, physical journal entries, pub receipts, business cards, and more from these moments to remember and someday pass along to my children. *I just got chills at that  thought* I really hope that they do not think of these items and artifacts as junk or rubbish but rather relics of a grand time that I had. Yes, most of us probably realize this and collect items from our journeys throughout life but I had this thought the other day: What happens when we die and no one can access our Facebook accounts or blogs? What happens when my generation grows older, has children, and wants to share memories? Will we do it all on a screen or with things that we can feel the worn out paper from the journals with, smell the proud and slightly musty smell of the pages on, and see the crumpled richness of the covers on? 

I am still trying to figure out why I am writing this but getting it out really helps solidify my views and understandings. Thanks for listening to me vent ;) 

All the best.

2 comments:

  1. You stated your thoughts eloquently and with great thought (I didn't sense much venting)..you have discovered that one of the best things about travel, new people and new places are the memories. I commend you for wanting to share those memories IN YOUR OWN WORDS and in a PERSONAL way (without the filter of an electronic media). There is much to be said for storytelling (in your case your travel stories)...it makes people interested, not only in the story, but in the storyteller as well. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Very much looking forward to your stories on your return (at least the ones you can tell).

    ReplyDelete