Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Edinburgh

...the city of brilliance and cleanliness. *I am so sorry that I did not upload pictures, yesterday! I got a little distracted with the beauty of Edinburgh... I wish I had booked more time here. I did not realize that a festival called the Fringe was happening during my stay. Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the largest arts festival in the world, and I believe it. The festival here is unlike any festival I have been to (which actually has not been many...). This is why my hostel was so expensive at $45 per night! But it has been so worth it. These are my people. Artsy fartsy. Let me show you:

Not a statue, but a street performer... hilarious and scared the bejeezus out of me!




A small band at an amazing pub called, "Lebowski's"

Here is a link to the festival: https://www.edfringe.com/about-us
Check it out and be inspired. 

I have so many more pictures on my other camera (better quality and shots). When I return to the States, I will post a link to a slideshow. I believe that I have a total of 1,200 photos! I am such a stinkin' American. Honestly, I purposefully chose not to take as many as I thought I would to savor the moments and sights. Also, I want to and will return so why see the UK through a bloody lens?! Haha, and if you object, then come with me, next time! I am hoping December or March. Think about it, readers. 

What should I talk about. Here is something that brought so many emotions. Yesterday morning, I got up at 7:15a and got ready to visit The Elephant House for breakfast. I was not sure if the place would be crowded. Thankfully, it was not, but when I walked by it in the afternoon, there was a queue about 50 feet outside the door! Win. This is where J.K. Rowling began to write the Harry Potter series. As an aspiring writer, I fully appreciated sitting in the corner and writing in my journal while enjoying the view of Edinburgh Castle and Stadium. I can totally see where she got her inspiration from. Not only from the Castle, but from this whole city. I am telling you, travel back here with me for the Fringe Festival, next year! Anyway, I ended up tearing up a bit as I sat in the corner (picture below).


Honestly, the place does not look like much. Just outside the large window, you can see the Hogwarts, I mean, the Castle. Spectacular. Here are a couple more shots:

Elephants everywhere! 

I am such a tourist... I regret taking this photo, haha

...and a bloody creeper for taking this photo but it was so cute!

After the touching moment at The Elephant House, I headed up to Edinburgh Castle. The cost was 16 pounds to enter but it was well worth it. This, folks, was a castle. Funny story... Before coming to Edinburgh, I had envisioned the city to be small, situated among tight hills, and crowded. I also thought that the castle would be dull, dark, and hidden behind other buildings and trees. When I got off the train and walked down the Main Street, I was enjoying looking at the shops and churches on my right and thought, "This is a pretty nice city!" Then, I looked to my left and noticed a lovely and long park paralleling the main street, larger cathedrals above the park, and castle-like buildings up top. Then, I saw it--Edinburgh Castle and about had a heart attack. The Castle is the main attraction and focal point in the city. Here are some shots:



William Wallace on the right (the original statue!)

Either tomorrow or the next day, I will post some pictures of the interior. I discovered some really interesting things about Scotland's role during times of war. Here's a small preview:

In my Media Studies seminar, we discussed the hidden meanings behind posters and how influential they are. I was actually shocked to see the light and airy content on the dozens of Scottish military recruiting posters... I would like to do more research on how they progressed throughout the years. More on that, later. 

After the castle, I decided to head back to the hostel for a lie down. Although the Caledonian Backpackers Hostel was not my favorite, I did appreciate the interior and clean facilities. Here are some shots:

Cheap drinks right in the hostel!

Damn bird would not shut up!

#ihateselfies

Lounge area

Lobby

Last night, I was trying to introduce myself to my fellow travelers in the hostel but had no luck with pleasant conversation because most of them were traveling in packs (solo travelers unite!) So I went back to my room (6-bed mixed dorm) and started rolling up my clothes to fit into my carry on. After succeeding and belting out Lady Gaga, in walks my roomie, Talia (another Australian!) We talked for a bit and decided to head down to the bar for a drink. I found out that she quit her job in Australia, applied for a 2-year visa, and moved to a wealthy area south of London to work at a pub. She is only 19. I truly admire her bravery! She got four days off and decided to head up to Edinburgh for the Fringe. I really enjoyed her company and after some convo, we met two more Australians! Finally, we decided to check out some more places. We had a blast. Here are some pictures:

Talia!

This guy at the pub we were at approached us and wrote this on our arms explaining that it would get us into a night club for free! We checked it out and actually had a grand time! However, come 1:30a, Talia and I decided to split because we were exhausted...

There you have it, readers. Edinburgh. Just kidding. Later, I will compose another post about two things: 1) the Castle's interior and some discussion about the military and 2) the hike up to Arthur's Seat (and the gorgeous views...!).

All the best and many hugs.

*wipes away a tear at the thought of leaving Edinburgh...*

1 comment: