Sunday, August 18, 2013

London flew by

Friday evening was loads of fun. I ended up stopping by a bar/lounge just around the corner from where I stayed. The people there were really nice and a group ended up approaching me for a chat. I am glad that they did! I had so much fun with them. Karen (just like from W & G) was one of my favorites... She is a 45-year-old woman with the spirit of a 22-year-old. She kept telling me to remind her to take a happy birthday video for her friend, Graham. Here's a picture of the group singing:


And here's Karen dancing to ABBA

Karen, again, dancing the night away... I kept threatening to bottle her up and keep it in my pocket

Jeremy (from NYC), Karen, and Paul on my left

I cannot believe that I am reaching the end of my stay in London. Currently, I'm sitting in the train at King's cross waiting to travel along the east coast to Edinburgh. I booked my train through Virgin about a week ago. During the booking process, I requested a quiet car. 

Dear people aboard the quite car,

I will never understand why you need to listen to music loud enough for the people around you to hear and continue to chat with your mates. Even if it were a song the rest of us liked, it still sounds annoying and although I do think that your auntie's pot roast sounds delicious, I do not care. 

Sincerely,
Trying to get some rest

Thanks for listening to me vent. Anyway, London was brilliant. Yesterday, I ended up walking along the river and made my way to the Globe Theatre. After several emotional moments and Shakespeare quotes running through my mind, I wondered into the building knowing I would not purchase an exhibition ticket. I am a little sad that I did not go through but reminded myself that this will not be my last trip to London. 

Notice the two ladies on the lower left

One of the riverfront museums... So expensive to enter!

Book fair! Should have bought a book for the train ride


Skateboard "park"--It was quite busy!


The Queen's Wide Window Gardens (booths with plants inside and information about them)

In my last post, I mentioned the film, My Fair Lady. During my walk back from the Globe Theatre, I stumbled upon St. Paul's Cathedral and nearly died. Mary Poppins was one of my favorites growing up so I had to stop, take a picture, and sing "Feed The Birds" to myself. 

Tuppence a bag

Obviously there is so much more to my trip but these are some of the better highlights. I really am having a grand time. I cannot stop and think about how my life is changing but I do know that it is in the process. Honestly, I am a bit afraid to return to America with the attitude of discontentment. Here, I am in my element, surrounded by so many cultures, languages, beauty, and diversity. Things will be fine once I start school, but I shall miss Europe and be bummed that I have to wait a while to return. Oh, small, rural areas, how you sometimes sadden me. Actually, I am thinking another small trip in March... 

Until next time from Edinburgh. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment