Thursday, August 15, 2013

Today is Lazy...

*My last blog post didn't upload, last night! Please read that one, first, and then this one! Sketchy wi-fi...

But that is a very good (and needed) thing. Readers, although I am in one of the most enchanting and bustling cities in the UK, I must be wise and rest. I have only left my dorm room to do laundry... Other than that, I have been sleeping, booking an overnight stay in Chicago for when I arrive, booking a train from Chicago back to Wisconsin, begging my friends to pick me up from the train station, and writing post cards to loved ones. In a few minutes, I will be on the prowl for a coffee shop with a comfy chair and do some reading. Remember, not only am I exploring the world and myself, I am rejuvenating and preparing for the busy and hair-pulling year ahead of me. I have loads to do when I return:

-pack and change apartments
-find and purchase a new car
-type like a madman (late-life divorce study)
-type like a madwoman (finishing touches of my thesis literature review)
-sit through IA training...
-prep for my teaching
-sign up for my fall classes
-work
-finally start the semester!

Back to London. Yesterday was filled with walking, jaw-dropping monuments and buildings, and my new favorite show, Once. After a grand sleep, I had a full English breakfast provided by the University of London. May I highly recommend staying at the University during the summer!? The school dorms are nestled in a quiet part of London (Russell Sq.) and are close to the tube. The facilities are great for students and young travelers and include a large single-room with closet space, shared bathrooms (yet, private), and free wi-fi! I will definitely remember this place for future travels.

I walked. And walked, and walked. London is huge and full of winding roads, curving brick paths, and areas begging to be explored. I chose to spend my time at free museums such as the British Museum and the National Gallery. Two really interesting things occurred during my visits...

First, at the British Museum, I saw one of my all-time favorite discoveries, The Rosetta Stone (pictured below). 


Readers, I had no idea that this would be within my reach until I entered the building. Here's why this stone means a lot to me. For those of you who do not know, I was homeschooled throughout K-12 and during my 5th grad history class, I learned about this stone during the Ancient Egypt chapters and marveled at its importance in history. I learned about the many different people who tried to bridge the languages to crack Hieroglyph meanings. At that time, I was also smuggling sneak peaks of Indiana Jones and The Mummy movies so I was so into the topic, and this stone. 

After viewing the stone, I wondered the museum for about three hours. I only scraped the surface of this place! Please sir, I want some more. I refused to take pictures of everything like most of the other visitors... I still feel guilty for taking pictures of some of my favorite pieces but se la vie

The National Gallery refused to let anyone take pictures, which was a treat! There, I saw Monet, Manet, Renoir, and many other famous works. This, I think, was a great part of the day. Haha, but I must tell you... Outside of the Gallery were hundreds, if not, several thousand Scottish people gathered for something... I have yet to discover. Below are some pictures:




When I arrived to the National Gallery, I was like, "Oh! Hello people!" I secretly wanted to belong. Readers, although I am proud to be an American, I would like to mention that my view is deepening. I have met and discussed with about a dozen people from different countries about the US and what they think about Americans. My mind is still being blown away and torn in many different directions. I guess we all will have differences and different views but what I am learning is making me rather frustrated, mostly over my naivety. I must continue to educate myself. 

After the museums and sightseeing, I headed back to my dorm room for a lie down before I headed to see Once. Let me tell you. That show really encouraged me to make more time for composing on the piano. I am also thinking about picking up my ukulele, again! Jamming session at David's apartment! I must make more musician friends in Point... Where are the drama-free ones?

More pictures:

Part of Chinatown. Not what I expected! I barely saw any Chinese people! 

I was starving and opted for a buffet... Just like the Hong Kong Buffet :( You get what you pay for!

The Phoenix Theatre where Once played... be still, my heart

'Ello!

That's it for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment